Friday, May 1, 2009

How to back out of a race with dignity and grace

I received this email earlier today in reference to the Jiminy Peak Race this weekend. All racers who read this take note: Let this be the archetypal form of the back-out letter to your teammates.


Straightforward and to the point? Check.

Humorous delivery? Check.

Co-opting of current events to enhance comedic effect? Check.

Repeated self-deprecation? Check

Attempted effort to mollify spurned teammates with promise of food and drink? Check.




From: Joshua Gunn

Subject: Not racing tomorrow


You've been dreaming all week of racing with me. You have a poster of me on your wall. You want to wear my socks and own my signed, limited edition saddle that's custom crafted for the wattage cottage.


Nothing lights a fire like a dream deferred, gentlemen. To that end, I must announce that I will not be racing this weekend. Under advice from the team doctor, Dr. Rosencrantz, MFA, I can't race with this lingering cough -- the direct offshoot of the H4V2 miniature horse virus that I contracted from the miniature horse that was malingering near the feed zone at Frog Pond.


In the words of Dr. Rosencrantz, "You don't want to mess with the miniature horse virus!"


Also, I should reveal that Jill is out of town this weekend, so if anyone wants to come over and drink some beers and poach some turkey burgers on Saturday night, we could hang. It's just an idea. I have a big empty house, and I don't feel like watching re-runs of "Alf" alone.

I'm not contagious anymore. Just slow.


Josh

5 Comments:

Blogger leahpb said...

i am just totally psyched that someone else witnessed the majesty of the dwarf horse this past weekend. sorry she poisoned you but she is a show pony so it's probably for the best. you might win next time.

May 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger RMM said...

Is this a giant invite to Josh's for burgers, Alf and drinks?

May 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

I posted a video from the Wells Ave Crit this morning (5.3.09) if you're interested. It's on vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/4459814
And I'm also uploading it to my blog. (hopefully that one will upload soon) -Josh

May 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

That was supposed to be "Turtle Pond". My complete lack of knowledge of New England geography and places might make this email a little funnier, though. I'll take what I can get.

May 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I'm definitely going to use (a version of) that in the future...

May 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home